Friday 22 November 2013

Communication Breakdown

I've been having fun cutting up circa early 1930s issues of The Saturday Evening Post magazine.  The background is from a double page ad for The Ford Motor Company.  The handsome farmer was a cover illustration.  The depressed looking cigar smoker is from an ad for "smoker's fag" which was described as a lack of energy due to smoking too much.  Campbell's soup must have been a very popular convenience food as full page ads appeared in every issue.  I added a "shoestring" a black marker line connecting the tin cans as a communication device.

6 comments:

  1. Love it, especially the depressed fag man and the Campbells cans, excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought before reading the title he was receiving a soup transfusion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I love the idea of a "soup transfusion". We used to make these as a kid. Lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. Vivienne...you are so funny. Didn't see that when I made it. Love it! For your reference and in case you know someone with "Smoker's Fag" I GOOGLED the term and guess what...there is a record of this ad on the internet! Here it is in its entirety (and the product that will help cure you--which is an important bit I left out in my description.)

    http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/mma_MM0230/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both lovely and sad: not only do the blond man & the cigarette smoker have nothing in common, they're neither talking into their cans nor listening to them...'makes me think of Paul Simon's "Sound of Silence."

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a funny idea, C.C.! And I love how you did it!

    ReplyDelete