Friday 1 December 2017

A book about life's sorrow and joy - on the way to the endless aim

different transfer techniques, linoleum print 

"The victim lies down, the ravens descend" Friedrich Schiller
Transfer on an old military postal letter.



Round about one year ago I got a more than 100 years old photo album and I was very  glad to get such a wonderful present! I kept it in my "project rack bay" in my bookshelf and was not able to work on and alter such a treasure.  Only after I visited the exhibition
 "The Architecture of Memory" by Sigrid Sigurdsson at Osthaus Museum Hagen and browsed through all the wonderful artist books I finally could encourage myself to start working on my own foto album project.
First I had a specific idea, but the book developed a life of it´s own.
I used many different techniques which I tried over the years, already before I concentrated myself on collages, to create the pages. It was a big joy for me to combine all the different techniques in this book now. The base material is the Victorian photo album and cabinet cards. There are many (collage-) artists working with this material - and each one create his own art work - and here are some pages of mine, freshly finished after weeks of work.

3 comments: